- Sambar is a very popular dish in South Indian cuisine. Sambar can be made with the goodness of toovar dal and wide variety of vegetables most commonly used vegetables are brinjal, drumstick, pumpkin, radish, ladiesfinger, onion etc. The amazing part is that it is so flavorful and goes so beautifully with a host of things like Dosa, Idli, Rice, Vada,Upma,and any South Indian Snack.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1cupSplit Pigeon Pea (Toor dal/ Arhar dal) (Soaked)
- 1 mediumPotato (Peeled)
- 50 gmsRed Pumpkin (Bhopla/ Kaddu) (Peeled)
- 50 gmsBottle Gourd
- 2mediumOnion (Sliced)
- ½tspTurmeric Powder
- 3tbspJalani Sambar Masala
- To tasteSalt
- 2-3Dried Red Chillies (Broken)
- 6-7Curry Leaves
- 2tbspTamarind Pulp
- 1tspMustard Seeds
- ½tspFenugreek seeds
- Boil the soaked dal with Turmeric powder, salt and water. Till half done, add potato, pumpkin, bottle gourd, drumstick or vegetable of your choice. Pressure cook till the vegetables are cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan; add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dried red chillies and curry leaves and when they begin to crack, add sliced onion and sauté for few minutes. Add Jalani Sambar Masala, salt and mix well.
- Now add the boiled dal along with the vegetables and cook stirring for 3-4 minutes. Add the tamarind pulp and mix well. Adjust the consistency by adding water as required. Simmer for another 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with Shredded coconut and serve hot with steamed rice, Idly, Vada or Dosa.